Fire Inspector Joint Recruitment
Aptos/La Selva FPD and Central FPD are conducting a joint recruitment/promotional opportunity for the position of Fire Inspector. The Aptos/La Selva Fire Protection District is the host agency for this joint recruitment. The District is accepting applications on behalf of both agencies from individuals who meet the requirements of the position. The deadline to apply is no later than 1700 hrs (5 PM) on Monday, January 22, 2018. For more information on this position, visit our Career Planning page, or click the graphic below:
Tree Recycling Info
Contrary to prior years, A/LSFPD Station 1 will not be hosting a tree recycling bin this January. GreenWaste now offers curbside pickup at residences within the service area. Undecorated holiday trees can be picked up curbside between January 2nd and January 31st. Please remove the stand, cut the tree to approximately 4-foot lengths and place the sections next to your yard trimmings container on your regular service day. Alternately, trees can be dropped off at the Buena Vista Landfill at 1231 Buena Vista Dr, Watsonville, CA 95076.
For more information on tree recycling services, visit: http://www.greenwaste.com/santa-cruz-county/residential-services, or call the Santa Cruz County Recycles program at 831-454-2160.
The A/LSFD Admin. Office will be closed on Monday, January 1, 2018, for the New Years holiday, and Monday, January 15, 2018, for Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Normal office hours are 8 am to 5 pm weekdays, and closed for lunch from 12 pm to 1 pm.
Winter Heating Safety Tips
The next few months bring colder weather - and with it, an increased risk for heating-related fires. Unsurprisingly, approximately half of home heating fires are reported during the months of December, January and February. The NFPA has several tips regarding home heating safety available on their website (click here to view).
Some of these tips include:
- Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet away from heating equipment like furnaces, fireplaces, wood stoves or portable space heaters.
- Have a three foot "kid-free zone" around open fires and space heaters.
- NEVER use your oven to heat your home.
- Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
- ALWAYS remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
- Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be completely cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.