Joint Firefighter/Paramedic Recruitment Underway
The City of Santa Cruz, the City of Watsonville, the Central Fire Protection District of Santa Cruz County and the Aptos-La Selva Fire District are conducting a joint recruitment for qualified Firefighter/Paramedics. A top list of applicants will be selected, to be used for future FF/PM openings in all four Districts. This recruitment will close after the first 250 qualified and complete applications are received or on Thursday 10/25/18, whichever occurs first; recruitment will close without notice.
We invite you to apply if you are interested in any of these agencies. To view more information regarding specific agency job descriptions please visit the following webpages:
Aptos-La Selva Fire District
City of Watsonville Fire Department
Central Fire Protection District
City of Santa Cruz Fire District
All applications must be submitted to the City of Santa Cruz. You cannot apply directly through the other agencies.
Selection Timeline: (Note: The following process may be changed as deemed necessary by the Human Resources Director.)
To apply, submit:
- Application - online application preferred; paper application accepted. Applications will be dated as of the date that all three of the required documents (#3, #4 and #5 listed below) are submitted. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of filling out application form completely.
- Response to supplemental questions - will be a tool in the evaluation of your qualifications.
- A valid State of California Paramedic License; licenses from other states or National Registry will not substitute.
- Current (within 1 year of recruitment opening date) CPAT (Candidate Physical Ability Test) card. Please go to http://www.cffjac.org/go/jac/cpat/ for schedule and registration information.
- A three year DMV driving record printout (obtained within 30 days prior to recruitment closing date) scanned and attached to online application.
Note: DMV printouts obtained online ($2.00) are not official documents and will not be accepted in lieu of official printouts. Official printouts (Form 95A) are issued by a Department of Motor Vehicles office at a cost of $5.00. Please refer to this link for information prior to obtaining your DMV printout: Driving Record Printouts.
- Week of 10/29/18: Applications will be competitively screened based on the minimum qualifications for this position. Notification will be sent to all applicants regarding status.
- Week of 11/12/18: Oral Examinations are scheduled to be held the week of 11/12/18 for top qualified candidates.
- Week of 12/3/18 and/or 12/10/18: Interviews with the Fire Chief are scheduled to be held the week of 12/3/18 and/or 12/10/18.
If you receive a conditional job offer, you will be required to submit conviction information when you complete other new hire paperwork.
Agency: City of Santa Cruz
Address: 809 Center St., Room 6, Santa Cruz, California, 95060
Phone: 831-420-5040 OR 831-420-5250
To apply, or to learn more about requirements, desired abilities and expectations, visit the City of Santa Cruz employment listing at: